Last September 9th, I sent to all the students that were starting their work a ‘start of the 2020-2021 school year’ greeting, in which I stressed that we would work in an organized manner and, mainly, in safety.
Today, having the new students started their activities, I want to reiterate, now to everyone, this certainty that we will continue to work in an organized and safe way.
It is very clear, and we all feel it, that we are experiencing a second pandemic wave that threatens us. These days we have seen a continued increase in cases of infection in Portugal, as in the rest of Europe. The Government has just adopted a new set of measures with the objective of halting this advance of the pandemic.
It is very clear, and I hope you all realize, that our organization and the committed attitude of all collaborators, both teachers and non-teachers, of the UPT is not enough, as government measures are not enough:
Your active collaboration is essential, with strict respect for and compliance with the whole set of fundamental preventive measures, widely disseminated in the UPT and in the media, for us to be successful in this fight aimed at reducing contagion by SARS-CoV-2.
I invite and urge everyone to read and review all these well-described measures on the UPT Portal (at www.upt.pt), but here are some recommendations:
- Permanently use a mask at the UPT facilities, inside and outside buildings, except during the period strictly necessary for food consumption.
- Maintain the greatest possible physical distance at all times.
- Wash or sanitize your hands frequently, before and after classes, meetings and other social contacts.
- Use the appropriate respiratory etiquette in your behavior, particularly when coughing or sneezing and if you decide smoking.
- Sanitize equipment, especially keyboards and mice, before use.
- Do not share personal items, including cell phones and personal computers.
- Avoid clusters of people and unnecessary social contacts.
- Join and participate in the COVID Stayaway Network, supporting COVID-19 screening.
- In the event of symptoms, however slight, or in case of close and unprotected contact with a person infected with COVID-19, do not go to the place of study or work and contact SNS24 Line tel.: 808 24 24 24 to know what to do.
Academic greetings, with wishes for an excellent year in Universidade Portucalense,
Sebastião Feyo de Azevedo, Rector